Diatomaceous earth is a porous powder with microscopic openings, that, when magnified, look like tiny sponges. Clear water can pass through these openings, but particles, as small as one to three microns, are trapped during the first pass through the media. D.E. filters have internal elements that become coated with D.E. It is this ‘filter cake’ that strains dirt, dust, algae, and some forms of bacteria from the water.
Similar to sand filters, when D.E. filters become dirty, they are cleaned either by backwashing, or regenerating and draining the clogged D.E. to the ‘waste’ line. To restore filtration, a fresh ‘charge’ of D.E. is added to the filter. For sparkling, clean pools; step up to Hayward D.E. filters.
- Automatic Air Relief purges any trapped air during filter operation. Screenless design eliminates clogging.
- Integral Lift Handles and Uniform Low Profile Tank Base make removal of grid nest fast and simple.
- High-Strength Filter Tank molded of PermaGlass XL™ provides extra durability for dependable, corrosion-free performance.
- High Impact Grid Elements designed for up-flow filtration and top-down backwashing for maximum efficiency.
- Heavy-Duty Tamper-Proof Bolted Center Flange Clamp securely fastens tank top and bottom together. Allows quick access to all internal components without disturbing piping or connections.
- Union Locknuts make disassemble and reassemble of filter from piping fast and easy.
- Norly® Bulkhead Fittings for extra strength and heat resistance.
- Inlet- Diffuser Elbow distributes flow of incoming unfiltered water upward and evenly to all filter elements. Parabolic tank design provides for even distribution of D.E. to grids.
- Full-Size 1.5″ Integral Drain provides fast, 100% clean out and easier flushing of tank.
- Convenient Valve and Plumbing Options allow for customized control. 2″ internal piping and plumbing for maximum flow performance.